A big shout out to Tony’s Market for this inspiration. While doing a “Locals Day” product demo, the chef brought out this Mexican inspired Shrimp Cocktail creation using bloody mary mix as the base. Below is my take on their incredible meal, and is the perfect summer dish.
Coctel de Camarones
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled
- 1 avocado peeled & pitted
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1 bottle Mary's Mornin' FiXXer 750 ml bottle
- Boil cleaned raw shrimp in salted water for 1-2 minutes – do not overcook! Quickly cool shrimp under cold water to stop cooking process. Dice half of the shrimp. Leave the other half whole for a “shrimpy” presentation.
- Chop cilantro, onion, cucumber and celery and place in a non-reactive bowl.
- Add chilled (cooled) shrimp and mix gently.
- Pour in bottle of Mary’s Mornin’ FiXXer bloody mary mix to desired consistancy. Mix gently.
- Add chopped avocado and stir gently to avoid creaming avocado.
- Chill for 1 hour in the fridge, or until cold. Spoon mixture into individual margarita glasses for the ultimate summer presentation. Garnish with an avocado slice and fresh lime wedge.
- Ready to eat after one hour in the fridge, but tastes even better the next day when the flavors have melded together. If you can, make a day in advance.
- Add fresh diced tomatoes
- Add diced jalapeños or habaneros for more kick
- Substitute red onion for the white onion
- Add additional seafood