An old school classic meatloaf recipe, updated with a tip ‘o the hat to our Southwestern roots. Recipe adapted from Quaker Oats Prize-Winning Meatloaf
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bacon divided
- 2 cups Mary's Mornin' FiXXer divided
- 3/4 cup Quaker Oats quick or old fashioned, uncooked
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup white onion finely diced
- 1 can diced green chiles 4oz can
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- While oven is heating, cook package of bacon using your favorite method - skillet, oven or microwave. When done, crumble enough bacon for 1/2 cup. Set aside remaining full bacon strips for a finishing garnish, and try *really* hard not to snack on them while cooking.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, 1/2 cup crumbled bacon, one cup of Mary's Mornin' FiXXer, Quaker Oats, egg, onion, green chiles, salt & pepper. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Lightly grease an 8" x 4" loaf pan, and press mixture into loaf pan.
- Bake until center of meatloaf reaches 160°F. About an hour.
- While meatloaf is baking, warm 1 cup of Mary's Mornin' FiXXer in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- When meatloaf is done, let stand 5 minutes; drain off any juices before slicing. Cut into slices.
- Spoon reserved warm Mary's Mornin' FiXXer over each slice and top with bacon to serve.
- Serve with your favorite vegetable medley.