Sausage, Peppers and Onions
A hearty Italian classic made even easier by using bloody mary mix as the tomato base of this delicious sandwich.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 bottle Mary's Mornin' FiXXer
- 1/4 cup olive oil Extra Virgin
- 1 package Italian sausage links 5 links or about 19oz
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 ounce fresh basil normally 1 small package
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 Italian sandwich rolls cut in half lengthwise
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausages and brown evenly on all sides, turning every several minutes. When browned, remove from pan and drain.
- Add onions and bell peppers to the pan, and saute until softened.
- Add garlic, basil and oregano to the mixture and cook for several more minutes.
- Add Bloody Mary mix to pan, and reduce heat to low. Stir to combine all ingredients and bring to a slow simmer.
- Cut the sausages on the bias (angled) into 3/4" wide pieces and add to pan. Stir all ingredients together and simmer on low for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve mixture on sandwich rolls
- For a low carb version, place into bowls and garnish with a basil leaf.
Do not worry about cooking the sausages all the way through when browning. The sausages will continue cooking when simmered in the final dish. Hot or Mild Italian sausage links are preferred. Sweet Italian sausage link make the dish too sweet due to the sweetness of the tomato base.